For teens 13 - 18. Have fun writing monologues and plays with award-winning playwright Frank Higgins.
- Work closely with a professional writer
- Visits from other published, professional writers will help give a well-rounded view of what it means to live a writing life.
- No experience necessary: Move through all stages of the writing process, from inspiration to drafting to revision to publication.
- Celebrate your accomplishments with a performance for family and friends.
- Perfect for those who already love writing -- and those who wish they did!
July 14-18. 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. $150. Some scholarships available.
For more information, please call (816) 753-1090
About the Instructor:
Frank Higgins is the author of The Country of the Blind, a play about disability, which received a National Endowment for the Arts grant to support its production and later toured through the Midwest. He is also the author of The Sweet By 'n' By which was produced with Blythe Danner and Gwyneth Paltrow. Gunplay has been produced across the country and had several scenes read on Capitol Hill prior to Congress's passage of the Brady Bill.
Miracles has been produced at major regional theaters including Jack O'Brien's Old Globe Theater in San Diego and later played in New York. His musicalWMKS: Where Music Kills Sorrow has also been produced at major regional theaters.Lovers Leap was commissioned and produced at the Fulton Opera House and was also part of New York University's HotInk new play series. The Taste Test began as a reading at the Ashland New Plays Festival in Oregon, then received a reading at the Cherry Lane Theatre in New York with Tony-winner Judith Ivey, and then debuted at Virginia Stage Company. Never Say Die was a finalist for the Eugene O'Neill New Play Festival. His plays for young audiences include The Slave Dancer's Choice, which debuted at the Omaha Theatre for Young People and was subsequently published by Dramatic Publishing. He was later commissioned by the same theater to write Anansi the Spiderand The Middle Passage which toured nationally. His new play is Black Pearl Sings. Higgins lives in Kansas City, Missouri, and teaches at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.